This post is a delayed version of our weekly newsletter. If you would like to receive timely summaries like this every week in your email box, you can subscribe here.
Techpoint Ask Me Anything (AMA) Live Sessions returns Thursday, September 7, 2017 with a twist, as the entire Techpoint team will be fielding questions from you, our audience.
Find out how to join in.
This Week on Techpoint
Watch a video version of this newsletter or read on below
Techstars Atlanta has plans for African startups. Amongst many foreign accelerators that have recently taken a keen interest in African startups is Techstars Atlanta. Following Farmcrowdy’s selection as the first and only African startup to participate in the Techstars Atlanta’s accelerators programme, some concerns were expressed at the solo choice.
This is what prompted Michael Cohn, MD Techstars Atlanta to reach out to enlighten us on the process that led to Farmcrowdy’s selection. He also revealed their intentions for African startups, starting with Nigeria.
Redefining education management, one school at a time. With over 80,000 educational institutions in Nigeria, FlexiSAF aims to help 10,000 among them automate their internal processes and make ₦4bn annual revenue while at it.
How well do you know popular abbreviations?
Find out how well you know popular abbreviations as we go on the streets of Lagos to hear people’s responses.
10 qualities every startup CEO should have. Are startup CEOs born or made? Leading a startup is no walk in the park. These are the qualities that will make you stand out as a leader.
Every weekday at noon (WAT), we feature up and coming startups attempting to break into the market.
This week’s featured startups
- Efferent — access human-based healthcare solutions
- Afsenergies — get 24-hour power supply from solar and wind tech
- Verhaal — get result-oriented digital marketing services
- Wines et al — order wines of different types online
- SMELP — get affordable legal solutions for your SME
When does a Nigerian startup become a company? With the rules appearing to be set differently for Nigeria, it is increasingly difficult to say whether a business is in the startup or company phase.
We want to know your thoughts.
Every Wednesday at 5PM (WAT), we publish a curated list of exciting opportunities, ranging from funding, acceleration programmes to entrepreneurship training.
Opportunities this week:
- Up to $100,000 in prize money at the Microsoft “Dream, Build, Play” Contest for Game Developers.
- $150,000 in grants from the Google Research Awards in Sciences & Engineering.
- Over £300,000 in seed and market validation grants from the M4D Utilities Innovation Fund, supported by the UK Government and the Scaling Off-Grid Energy Grand Challenge for Development
- The Appsafrica.com Innovation Awards celebrates the best in mobile and tech from across Africa.
- Entries for the Dark and Lovely x SLA Beauty Accelerator are closing soon.
- Entries for Diamond Bet Season 7 are closing soon too.
For more information on the above opportunities, please go here.
Got a relevant opportunity you would like to share with our readers? Please fill this form.
On May 29, 2018, Techpoint will be hosting 5000+ people at Techpoint Inspired, the biggest tech conference in Nigeria. Register now to book yourself a seat and save the date on your calendar. Interested in sponsoring this event? send an email to email@example.com